Thanks to all who attended the Core Values Workshop (just over 60 attended the session). The following were the word fields that we began to consense around at the close of our time together. This is a work in progress and we will want to clarify and narrow our sense of each group of words.
- Loving Church Family
- Trying New Things
- Caring for Others
- Caring for God
- Valuing Others
- Reaching Out
- Using Our Gifts
To derive this short list we asked persons to consider answering the following questions using a shortened list of 33 value words from Tom Bandy's Vision Discernment Workbook (a shortened form of Moving Off the Map).
Value Words: productivity, strength, trying new things, using one's gifts, singing, teaching, thinking, worship, passion, reaching out, purpose-driven, purposefulness, tolerance, sensitivity, morality, valuing others, fellowship, harmony, loving church family, generous, replenishment, hope, faith, loved by God, caring for God, humility, caring for people, God's grace, love, peace, futuring, leading.
- What have you always found of value in the church?
- What do you personally admire most about any church?
- What do you love to do the most when attending church?
- What legacy do you want to leave your children and grandchildren?
- What do you most want to be remembered for at church?
- What value would you state would be found when PUMC reaches God's promised land?