Memorize Hebrews 2:14-15
Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death (NRSV).
Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death — that is, the devil — and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death (NIV).
Reflect on Hebrew 2:14-15
- Read the second chapter of Hebrews from the NRSV, the NIV, or The MESSAGE.
- What do you learn from reading verses 10 and 11 about Jesus' role in our salvation?
- Who/what does Jesus conquer by his sharing in our humanity?
- Today's verses remind us that Jesus triumphs over our slavery to the fear of death? What else in your life holds you captive?
- Henri Nouwen observed, "I am increasingly aware that conversion is individual version of revolution." What does that mean for you?